On cold chilly days Shepard’s Pie is exactly the kind of comfort food I crave! Meaty, full of vegetables and covered in smooth, amazing, creamy yams.
This makes a large Shepard’s Pie ornin my case 3 round foil pans that I can individually bake.
2 pounds Grassfed Ground Beef
1 onion, diced
4 carrots, peeled, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
2 cups blanched or frozen green beans
10 cups sweet potatoes or yams, cubed and boiled until soft, drained but reserve 1 cup of liquid
3 tablespoons ghee
1/2teaspoon ground pepper
– Heat a large skillet and add the ground beef.
– Cook about 5-6 minutes and add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook an additional 5 minutes. Add the green beans and continue to cook.
– Blend the reserved liquid and 2 cups of the cooked yams and blend until smooth.
– Add the blended yam to meat mixture to thicken. This will make the Shepard’s pie so gooey and creamy.
– Mash the sweet potatoes, ghee and ground pepper.
– Pour the meat mixture into casserole or pan and cover with mashed yams .
– Serve right away or refrigerate and bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.