I swear my husband and son could live off of mushrooms and onions! There have been times where I have tested them and served them dishes with mushrooms and onions for 2 days straight and they were as happy as can be ! I try to expose the kids to different meats, fruits and vegetables as possible. So bringing home Elk was a nice treat! I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
1 pound ground elk
1 package dried mushrooms (Trader Joes)
1 onion, diced & caramelized at least 30 minutes
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup chicken or beef stock
- Caramelize onions with 4-6 tablespoons of oil for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the dried mushrooms, garlic, seasoning salt, pepper, cumin and garlic into food processor and pulse 4-5 times.
- Add the elk, caramelized onions, and egg. Pulse until well incorporated.
- I used a small cookie scooper to have the same size meatballs.
- I heat the same pan I caramelized the onions in and added just a little more oil.
- Brown the meatballs on all sides.
- Add the stock and strap the bottom of pan to get all the goodies.
- Serve alone with salad or over some roasted cauliflower.