I have family in Baja California. So much of my childhood was spent at the beaches of Rosaito and Ensenada … Not to enjoy the surf and and but to EAT!!!! Oh the food! Campechanas, ceviche, fried whole fish and lobster! But my all time favorite was the battered fish and chips! Here is my gluten free take on this AMAZING dish!
1 pound cod, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 cup Ottos Cassava Flour plus a little more for dusting.
1/2 cup arrowroot powder
2 teaspoons Flavor God Seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
3/4. – 1 cup mineral water (like Topo Chico)
Palm Shortening for frying
- Dry dish pieces with paper towels and set aside.
- Whisk the cassava flour, arrowroot powder, 2 eggs, flavorgod, baking powder, mustard powder, and enough mineral water to make a thick, pancake like consistency.
- Heat the palm shortening.
- Toss the fish in a couple tablespoons cassava flour and then throw a few pieces at a time into batter and then in hot shortening.
- Cook on both sides until golden brown. About 2-3 minutes each side.
- Drain for a few minutes and serve.