I have been making Water Kefir for about a year now … And after messing up (about 10 times) I have finally GOT IT!!!!! This is our favorite flavor! Strawberries are in season and cheap! I always buy double what we can eat so I can purée and freeze right now that they are in their prime!!!
1 packet water kefir grains Cultures for Health
1/2 gallon Spring Water
1 teaspoon unsulfured mollases
1/4 cup raw organic sugar
1/2 gallon mason jar
8×8 inch square of cheese cloth
- First and for most I make sure that everything I am using to prepare kefir is washed well and I rinse in a sink full of water with 1 cup vinegar… Dry everything with clean kitchen towel… Now we are ready!
- Once you have ordered your kefir grains reconstitute them according to the instructions given.
- Bring 3 cups of the spring water to a boil with the sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the hot water and sugar mixture into jar and fill almost to top with the remaining spring water (leave about 2 inch space from the top.
- Add the molasses and ginger.
- Allow the mixture to reach room temperature.
- Rinse your reconstituted kefir grains and add the mixture.
- Cover with cheesecloth and hold tight with rubberband.
- I use blue painters tape to tag the date so I don’t forget.
- Allow to ferment for 48 hours.
- Strain the kefir grains out and rinse… Set aside and start process over. Get ready for second ferment.
- Never use metal! Strainer should be plastic as should your spoons to mix.
After 48 hours repeat the above steps to keep your kefir going! Here are the steps for second ferment:
1/4 cup puréed strawberries
1/4 cup raw sugar
1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- For second ferment take the fermented kefir and pour into separate 1/2 gallon jar.
- Add the puréed strawberry, ginger and sugar. Stir until dissolved.
- Cover mason jar with lid (not tight) and place in fridge.
- Second fermentation takes place then ! This is where the carbonation takes place … I suggest burping the jar a couple times a day to prevent kefir explosion! Ha ha !
- Allow to ferment an addition 24-48 hours.
- Enjoy within a week!