Not only are potatoes not paleo but they are also inflammatory. Before Jake was diagnosed with JRA I would allow him to indulge in french fries, baked potatoes and such on occasion. In an effort to keep him healthy and pain free potatoes are a big no no now, but he’s 9!!! I want him to enjoy the things that other kids enjoy. So while watching food network last night I saw the Pioneer Woman making tater tots … I got in the kitchen and came up with these little bits of goodness!!!
3 sweet potatoes, roasted until soft
1/2 pound bacon, chopped and cooked crispy
1 tablespoon mayo
1-2 tablespoons bacon fat
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
– Roast 3 peeled and cut sweet potatoes until soft (you can toss with a bit of oil or bacon fat to facilitate cooking.)
– Use a ricer or a regular ole potato masher and mash the 3 sweet potatoes.
– Add the chopped crispy bacon, mayo, bacon fat, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
– Mix until just combined and shape into small rounds, I used a small cookie scooper to keep them all the same size.
– Heat a small amount of bacon fat in a large skillet and lightly brown the tater tots.
– Place on parchment cover pan and finish off in a 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, or flash freeze on pan for about 30 minutes then throw in freezer bag and bake as needed.