By no means am I the bone broth guru or do I claim the fame of having invented this marvelous concoction… In the process of searching and yearning for knowledge on how to help my beautiful son in his newly diagnosed Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis I realized that there was so much good to come from a simple little cup of broth. Mineral rich, nutrient dense and this gelatinous goodness so good for his bones and joints? No way! So I played in the kitchen, took bits and pieces of recipes I found, carefully picking specific ingredients based on nutritional facts and most of all taste! I have done all the work for you! It has since become our morning ritual while homeschooling, enjoying a cozy warm cup… He enjoys it and does not even realize why !
4-5 pounds of a combination of organic,grass fed, beef bones (knuckles & marrow bones), chicken bones (chicken backs, necks and or feet)
2 large onions, sliced in half
3-4 green onions, sliced in half
1 fennel bulb or fennel fronds, sliced in half
4-6 carrots, washed and cut in half
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon peppercorns
1 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
1 tablespoon oregano
2-4 tablespoons Himalayan pink salt
1 cup parsley, whole bunch or chopped
1 piece of kombu seaweed
– Start by prepping all of your vegetables and setting aside
– Remove “bone scum” by placing bones in a large pot, cover bones with water and bring to a boil. Remove the “scum” that will float to the top, then remove the bones and toss the scum water.
-Wash large pot and place bones back in pot along with vegetables
– Add 2 gallons of water and bring to boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for at least 24 hours. Yes you read right… at least 24. You will end up with a fabulous, golden, flavorful broth/stock.
– Allow to cool and strain the broth. I like to run my broth through a colander with a few pieces of cheese cloth for a nice clean broth.
– Place into covered containers.
– Allow to cool in refrigerator over night and remove the fat, I leave the fat 😉
– You can freeze for months or keep in refrigerator for 7-10 days.
– Reheat and enjoy at least a cup a day!