I’ve been keeping this recipe a secret for much too long. I have decided to share with you and I hope you share with your friends. I cam up with this recipe by accident. I was trying to make one thing and came up with another… Ha! It’s a little tie consuming to make (which is why I make a huge batch and freeze some for later) … and there are also some ingredients that may not be as easy to find but trust me… it is all worth it in the end! My friends are big fans of this gravy and have been eager for the recipe… so here it is!
2-3 cups sweet onions, chopped
2-3 cups fennel, chopped
(You want to have a total of 5-6 cups on onion and fennel combined)
8 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cups carrots, chopped
3-4 tablespoons duck fat
4 cups rich stock, chicken
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1 teaspoon dry sage
Salt to taste
- I got a huge fennel bulb in my CSA box this week… so I didn’t need more than one but you may. Just make sure you have 4-5 cups of onions and fennel combined.
- In a large skillet or cast iron pan heat the duck fat and add the onions, fennel, garlic and carrots.
- Cook on medium/low heat for 25-30 minutes until nice and soft … golden and caramelized.
- While that magic is going on in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle grind up the fennel seed, peppercorns, and sage.
- Add to the onion and fennel mixture and continue to cook.
- Once everything is golden and caramelized add the stock. I added it frozen and just allowed it to melt and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Once it simmers allow to cool and blend or use an immersion blender (like I did) until smooth.
- Return to pan and simmer for another 10-20 more minutes.
Enjoy with roasted chicken, meatballs… its amazing and freezes well!